Wednesday, December 14, 2022

A Musical Time Capsule From 1974

KMart was known for having what they referred to as KMart radio.  In reality, it was tapes that combined store announcements with music and played on a loop.  The company, Tape-A-Thon made those compilations and Archive.org has digital audio files of the preserved December 1974 KMart Radio reel to reel tape.

I was only a child but it still takes me back.  I need only the smell of waxy bayberry candles and chocolate covered cherries and I'm suddenly back Christmas shopping with my mom.

The country was in turmoil but KMart tried to provide the moms a soothing soundtrack to get them in the mood for shopping.  Those classics often dated to when they were children and likely provided the needed nostalgia. 

Now, where are those chocolate covered cherries...


No comments:

Post a Comment