Translate

Saturday, June 14, 2014

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

Have you ever found yourself using a word that other people find strange?  I do it all the time so, you can imagine how interested I was when I found this interesting quiz while I was reading one of my favorite blogs.

About the dialect quiz:

"Most of the questions used in this quiz are based on those in the Harvard Dialect Survey, a linguistics project begun in 2002 by Bert Vaux and Scott Golder. The original questions and results for that survey can be found on Dr. Vaux's current website.
The data for the quiz and maps shown here come from over 350,000 survey responses collected from August to October 2013 by Josh Katz, a graphics editor for the New York Times who developed this quiz. The colors on the large heat map correspond to the probability that a randomly selected person in that location would respond to a randomly selected survey question the same way that you did. The three smaller maps show which answer most contributed to those cities being named the most (or least) similar to you."

I took the quiz and found that my dialect is a bit different than I expected.  This lifelong Southerner was a little surprised to see both Yonkers and New York City pop up as two of my cities!  Here's a link to my results:  http://nyti.ms/1kUKz7V

Let me know if you find anything surprising about your dialect!

1 comment:

  1. I just took the test and it was spot on for where I live. How fun!

    ReplyDelete