Translate

Monday, October 7, 2013

SO WHAT if Jerry Jones Uses A Flip Phone!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1799931-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-still-uses-a-flip-phone

Have we Americans become so incredibly materialistic that it's considered shameful to not use a smart phone?  I've got news for all those people who commented on Twitter suggesting that Mr. Jones doesn't know how to use a smart phone or is too cheap:  Some people actually use phones until they break!  Not everyone buys a new phone each year nor do all people want or need smart phones.  It's also incredibly rude to assume that just because a man is 70 years old, that he doesn't know how to use smart phone.  Ageism anyone?  I also think that Mr. Jones' wealth is unimportant in this discussion.  Whether or not he chooses to buy a more expensive phone is his business.  And of those who do want smart phones, not all fall in line in the Apple Army.  I know lots of people who have fallen in love with my husband's Samsung Galaxy Note and out of love with their iPhones.

For the record, my Nokia "candy bar" style phone just won't die.  It must be built like a tank because it's been dropped more times than I can count and is still in fine working order at the ripe old age of 8.  I do not replace things that aren't broken or obsolete so, this baby isn't going anywhere until the cell phone grim reaper visits.  Am I old?  Not even close.  Am I cheap?  No.  Do I not know how to use a smart phone?  I use my husband's phone all the time.  Will I replace my phone with a smart phone when it breaks?  NO.  I don't need one and I don't want to pay for another data plan.

FYI:  I'm not defending Mr. Jones because I'm a Cowboys fan.  Go SAINTS!

4 comments:

  1. My husband laughed at that news bit. My husband has to have the newest of any technology and he spends lots of money keeping up with the Jones's. I on the other hand have had my flip phone for years and refuse to get a new one just because it might be out of style. And get this, I use my phone for (gasp) just phone calls and to have a bit of security when on the road. I really dislike seeing people, including my family, sitting around a table at to eat, and plugging away on their phones instead of talking to the others. Buggs me to no end and I refuse to be like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on thinking that people should put their phones away when they're at the table. I'll also add concerts, plays, etc. to that list. Respect is *gone*.

      I do use my phone for texts--esp. at music festivals when calling is impractical but, like yours, it doesn't have a camera. We'll get by with what we've got! ;)

      Delete
  2. Flip phone? What's flip phone? ;) Well, I do have a wireless one, but no plans for a cellular any time soon. It would just mean more work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely fight getting a cell phone if you're not wanting extra work. My husband's phone never ceases to chime with calls, texts, and emails. Weekends and days off are *our time* but his job doesn't seem to agree.

      Delete