Translate

Monday, October 14, 2013

Excellent Blog Post: Sh*t Craft Show Shoppers Say

The blog, Art 2 The Extreme has a great post that I'd like to share.

I'd like to add a few points to Nicole's list:

  • Do not tell a metalsmith that you know that she didn't make the jewelry in her display.  No; my husband did not make it. (Men--I'm talking to YOU.  Stop being sexist!)
  • Do not tell me that you "can get the exact same thing at the flea market".  Have fun trying!
  • Please do not set your drinks on my tables and then tell me not to worry that "coffee will wash right out".  
  • Please don't let your children take multiple business cards.  This is not really a big problem for me because I stamp and emboss my own cards so, they're relatively inexpensive. Some cards such as Moo Cards are much more expensive and a very thin stack of those cards could have easily cost four or five dollars.  Most artists can't afford that much waste.
  • Please do not photograph our work.  It is rude and makes us think that you intend to have your aunt or cousin or best friend copy it for you.  We work very hard on our designs and have enough to worry about without the added stress of wondering if we're going to start seeing copies of our designs at the next craft market.
  • If you own a boutique, please do not lead us on about how much you would like to carry our creations if you aren't serious.  Time is money and when we take the time to meet with shop owners and email photos and you never take the time to return calls or email us, you've wasted our time which could have been better spent creating or taking care of other business matters.
None of these comments are meant to be taken in a manner that would suggest that I don't love my customers.  Nothing could be further from the truth!  The problem is that the other shoppers with the bad behavior prevent me from giving my full attention to the serious customers who deserve it.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's sad that things like that have to be said but it's necessary!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the blog love! I wish I would have added something in about taking photos. That seems to happen a lot. Great points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Nicole. Your blog post was way too good to not share!

      Delete
  3. Thank you! I have been hearing this for years: "Who does she think she is, charging those prices!? I can get that exact thing at Wal-Mart/Dollarama." Who ARE these harpies and why do they think they have the right, if not the responsibility, to say the things they do, and then THEY get all offended if we respond, nicely, no less -- "That's not true." -- to their crap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selling at markets can be hard! I've been very lucky and was surprised by a customer who took it upon herself to deal with one of the bad eggs. She later told me that the woman was bothering her, too!

      Delete