Translate

Friday, October 18, 2013

Content Scraping

As if I haven't had enough to worry about with all of the Etsy nonsense, I have found that my blog has been a victim of content scraping.  As you would expect, the stolen content now ranks higher in Google search than  on my own damned blog.  I'm not going to provide any links because I'm not about to give them any more traffic than they've already stolen from me.  Google it if you're curious but be sure to click on the cached versions.

DCMA takedown notices are a pain in the ass to submit but I guess I'll just have to add that newest pain to the ever-growing stack of things that I must accomplish in the very near future.  I wonder when I'll actually have any time to get back to making jewelry?

For those of you who read my blog via RSS feed, you will find that my posts are now truncated.  I'm sorry that it will be less convenient but it is necessary.

10 comments:

  1. I am not sure what you mean but it doesn't sound good. I hope it gets resolved soon without too much effort on your part so you can get back to your true purpose, making jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!

      CS is when a website or blog steals content and uses it to get traffic. One example is a website about insurance that copied an entire post from my blog and all the other content on that website is also stolen. They've not written any of the posts and they use our stolen content to direct traffic to businesses that I'm sure I don't want a connection.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you are having trouble with people who steal content from your blog for their own gain. I'm wondering how you found that out. I hope you get it taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice. I hope you never have to deal with it. I found my posts had been stolen when I was doing a Google search of "Libellula Jewelry" to see what it would yield. Now that I'm off Etsy, I have to retool a few things--most of all promotion. Anyway, that search turned up the offending websites. I had heard of content scraping before but I didn't think my blog posts were the kind someone would steal...well, I guess I found out!

      Delete
  3. Just when I was thinking it might be time to start a blog.... Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning how to deter content scraping and promise to pass along everything that I find.

      I really hope that you do start a blog because I know it will be really interesting!

      Delete
  4. Wow. I never even heard of this before.I've been off in a non-blog bubble for a while. Sorry for all of your troubles. Hope you get back to the joy of making jewelry soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. :)
      I'll be taking a Painting With Fire Torch Fired Enamel workshop tomorrow so, I will be having fun and not thinking about blog or Etsy issues!

      Delete
  5. I'm jealous of your workshop! That's one I've always wanted to take. One day.Glad your getting a break to create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely take one of Barbara's classes if you get the chance. It was so much fun! I'll blog about it...

      Delete