Translate

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Creating With Cabochons Blog Hop

I'd like to thank Sally Russick of The Studio Sublime for hosting this design challenge and blog hop.  I love bezel setting stone cabochons but I also enjoy setting lampwork cabochons, and handmade stoneware,  ceramic, and porcelain cabochons, too.

For this blog hop, I decided to use a beautiful porcelain flower cabochon made by Sarah Kandell-Gritzmaker of Slate Studio Supplies on Etsy.  The colors immediately made me think of setting it in red brass.  The backplate is red brass and the bezel wire is bronze.  The etched disc that I sweat soldered to the reverse of the backplate is also red brass.

Porcelain & Red Brass Necklace by Libellula Jewelry
Porcelain Cabochon Bezel Set in Red Brass & Bronze

Etched Brass on Pendant Reverse
Patinated Etched Red Brass

Bezel Set Cabochon by Libellula Jewelry
 Bezel Set Cabochon

I usually make chains for my pendants but this time, I chose to use stone beads that have a finish somewhere between matte and satin in order to complement Sarah's cabochon.  I knotted the beads in groupings of three using Irish waxed linen cord from Beads To String.  The necklace was finished with commercial brass bead tips from River Song Beads and my soldered red brass clasp and etched logo tag.

Please visit the other participants' blogs:

Your Host:  Sally Russick
Alicia Marinache           
Lynn  Jobber           
Jenny Davies-Reazor           
Jo-Ann  Woolverton           
Marde Lowe           
Dawn Doucette           
Mary K McGraw           
Gloria Allen           

Cheri  Reed           
Sonya Stille           
Elizabeth Owens Dwy           
Veralynne   Malone           
Tania Hagen           
Lynsey  Brooks           
Christina Miles           
Holly  Westfall           
Kathy  Lindemer           
Patti Vanderbloemen           

Therese Frank           
Adrienne Berry           
Tanty  Sri Hartanti           
Renetha Stanziano           
Marlene  Cupo           
Sandi Volpe           
Sharyl McMillian-Nelson           

Mischelle Fanucchi           
Tracy  Stillman           
Skylar Bre'z           
Ann Schroeder           
Jess Green           
Susan Kennedy           
Stacie  Florer           
Cathie  Carroll           
Susan F.  

Michelle Caballero       
Sabine Dittrich           
Kristina Johansson           
Kimberly Sturrup-Roberts           
Melissa  Meman           
Cheryl McCloud         
Michelle  Timms           
Cindy  Pack                  
Lynda  Carson

Cynthia  Machata           
Julia  Harris           
Karin  Slaton
Ingrid  Anderson           




40 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful necklace, I love every thing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love how your red brass setting sets off the cab. And the etched backplate is like icing on the cake. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your kind words, Mary. :)

      Delete
  3. This necklace is so pretty! Your attention to detail with your clasp and the back of the pendant are beautiful. The brass does look great with this color and your stones almost look like lampwork beads as well.

    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty! love the colors in your piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The necklace will probably not sell until spring but I do love those colors, too!

      Delete
  5. Love that texture of your bezel against the smoothness of Sarah's cab! The rest of your details ain't too shabby, either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Susan! I like that you incorporated the Irish Linen thread. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kalaya. It's been a long time since I've done any knotting so, it was fun to get back into it. :)

      Delete
  7. I love that cab and the perfect way you have shown it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah does make some beautiful porcelain pieces. Thanks for your sweet compliment!

      Delete
  8. Lovely necklace. The brass looks great with the cab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Up until April, I'd been working with mostly silver & copper. I'm so glad that I gave brass another chance.

      Delete
  9. GORGEOUS! I have never used red brass, I think I might need to try it! I love what you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! I finally started liking brass after a long period of it just not working for me. With enough texture to break up the light, I don't find it too shiny.

      Delete
  10. I love the etching on the back. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo-Ann! Electrolytic etching is one of my favs.

      Delete
  11. I really love your necklace - back and front - and how you knotted the beads for the chain. It all just really looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the combination of materials, colors and the simplicity of the design, and the hidden details on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful etching and I always love turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! I find that using PnP for electrolytic etching gives really good detail.

      Delete
  14. Excellent necklace. Your techniques are outstanding. So cool and serene looking! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Vera! Thank you so much for such a generous compliment. :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Susan,
    Your piece is beautiful! I love all the little touches to the bezel and the neck strap and the little charm hanging from the clasp gives the back a touch of beauty too.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Therese. I etch my little logo tags in order to help with product branding.

      Delete
  16. I'm in awe of your metal work! From the design and execution to the finishing details! The result is a lovely setting for this sweet cab.

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynda! I think your metalwork is great, too. :)

      Delete
  17. I love that your pendant is pretty on both sides. You are so great at making things that are pretty from all angles. That was my first lesson in crafting as a little girl. You my dear have mastered it. I'm still working on it, but that just means I need to make more pretties to practice so I'm totally okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Ginger. :) You do not need to practice! I love your beadwork--which I could *never* do. Thanks for your sweet compliment.

      Delete
  18. You did a great job bezeling your pendant. Your necklace is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous from every angle.
    Great hop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Susan! The colors are right up my alley! The way you set the cab and added the little extra with the back plate! BEAUTIFULLY DONE!! Thank you for jumping in and participating in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sally. Your kind words are very appreciated! I really enjoyed your blog hop; thank you so much for hosting it. :)

      Delete