Translate

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Black & White Jewelry Design Challenge

I'd like to start by giving a big thank you to Sally Russick who created this design challenge.  I rarely work in only black and white so, I knew that I had to participate in this blog hop.

I had considered making a necklace but couldn't decide if I wanted to make one that was strung or wire wrapped.  I finally decided to scrap the necklace idea altogether in favor of a making a bracelet and a pair of earrings. 

I made my earrings from Argentium sterling silver wire, howlite, and hematite.  I had a few Argentium jump rings leftover from another project so, I made the love knots by fusing trios of jump rings together.  The ear wires and headpins were also made from Argentium sterling silver wire.  I don't usually keep my designs this simple during a design challenge but I thought that a plainer design wouldn't compete with the simple, absolutely neutral color palette.

howlite, hematite, & sterling silver earrings


I have a small stash of fine silver beads that I made from PMC.  I intended to combine them with some rutilated quartz to make a chunky bracelet but I only got as far as wire wrapping the silver beads. A weekend health scare with my mother prevented me from even caring about finishing.  She's out of the hospital but will be requiring more care than in the past.  I'm unsure how this will affect my jewelry businesses.

Please stop by and visit the other participants in the Black & White Jewelry Design Challenge:

17 comments:

  1. Oh no, so sorry to hear about your mother. Hopefully the things will work out for you. And the PMC beads are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off - I hope your mother's health improves!!! Sending you some healing thoughts and prayers!

    Your earrings are beautiful - love the little love knots at the top! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, your earrings are beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to post, even though you have a whole world of worry on your shoulders. I'm so sorry to hear that your mom isn't doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I'm sorry about your mom and hope she will is OK. Your earrings are sweet. I love Howlite and hematite together, and your love knot rings. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! You did a great job!

    Vera
    http://veradesigns.blogspot.com/2013/07/black-white-jewelry-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful in their simplicity. And your wrapping and metal work is always exquisite. I'm sorry to hear about your mother and hoping for the best for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope and pray your mother's health will improve, Susan... nothing like a crisis of this sort to immediately spotlight the important things in our lives.

    Thank you for sharing your elegant earrings and hopefully you will have the luxury of exploring your other ideas very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The simplicity and the movement make these the perfect pair of earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice earrings! Hope all goes well with your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful earrings I really like the simplicity of your design. I hope your Mom gets better soon.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your mom. Supporting an aging parent can be so rewarding, but yet such a sudden change that affects your and her life. I wish you both strength.

    I love the earrings, and Argentium is my favorite metal to work with, although, I do love working in copper with your great findings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet earrings, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she recovers quickly

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your mother, I love the earrings they are simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your mother is better. Your earrings are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reply is for everyone:

      Thank you so much for your kind words. My mother is doing much better. It's scary when things happen to those we love.

      Delete
  15. Those look like earrings I would be sure to pack for any trip. They can be elegant, "businessy" or casual. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I am late in commenting, and glad to hear your mom is doing better. That is the most important thing, but your earrings are lovely and so glad you found time to share them with us.

    ReplyDelete