Translate

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Weekend in NOLA

Heidi and I had a slow day at Piety Street Market.  I think that the heat kept a lot of people away from the market.  We did have a chance to talk and laugh--especially about our cats.  The newest photos of her kitten, Nigel, are unbelievably precious.  If you don't already read or follow her blog, now would be a good time because a little bird told me that she might be posting some new photos of Nigel. =^..^=

Old New Orleans Gingeroo
 
I'd like to give Heidi a big public thank you for the bottle of Old New Orleans Gingeroo that she gave me.  She remembered how much I love ginger and that Celebration Distillation is my absolute favorite distillery--SO thoughtful!  Even though it's fairly new to the market, I'm surprised that I had yet to try their Gingeroo considering how much I had been looking forward to trying it.  Back in December 2008, Julie Perschall of Old New Orleans hosted their first pub crawl and gave us the chance to try Gingeroo while it was in it's early stages of development.  I thought it tasted fantastic even back then--not too sweet with a nice ginger bite.  I highly recommend Gingeroo to anyone who enjoys ginger!

Old New Orleans Rum

On a side note, check out the paintings that are visible through their bottles of rum.  Yes; those are paintings by the owner and artist James Michalopoulos.

Saturday wrapped up with my husband, our friend Dan, and me going down to Frenchmen St to hear John Boutté sing at d.b.a.   John was delightful, as usual, and the band was in fine form.  I'm always impressed with Todd Duke who is an excellent Jazz guitarist.  We had just enough time after John's set to get to Pizza Delicious for a couple of take-out slices before they closed.  Their vegan garlic-spinach pizza is heavenly and exactly what I need when I'm not in the mood for cheese which is getting to be a frequent thing.  The older I get, the more I believe that I'm becoming lactose intolerant.

Sunday was another day of fun spent with talented local metalsmith, Kalaya Steede.  She came over to Dan's house and we hung out for a few hours.  We did a bit of electrolytic etching, discussed metalsmithing, and generally got to know each other.  We had a nice exchange of ideas:  I showed her the method that I use for etching and she taught me that I don't need to use PnP as a resist.  I was amazed to learn that I can laser print the designs onto regular printer paper and iron/burnish the images onto the metal.  I had NO idea that it could be done like that.  I can't wait to try it!

enameled copper earrings by Kalaya Steede


Kalaya was a sweetie and brought me a pair of her gorgeous enameled earrings.  The colors are beautiful and remind me of a sunset and I really love carnelians.  Thank you, Kalaya!  If you get a chance to hang out with her, do it.  She is a very intelligent and fun chica!

Before we headed back to Florida, we enjoyed some Middle Eastern take-out from Mona's Café and picked up some Creole tomatoes which are simply some of the best tomatoes I've ever tasted.  I could live off Creole tomato sandwiches on whole wheat bread.  They are that good.

All in all, it was a really nice weekend.  We'll be back in New Orleans for the OCH Art Market in July--indoors, with air conditioning! ;)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an enviable weekend, though sorry about the slow market. I especially can't wait to hear more about comparative etching.

    But what I'd almost drive to NOLA for myself is a few of those REAL tomatoes....



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gale! I wish that you could have been there with us. Kalaya and I already knew all about ferric chloride etching but she only needed a few tips on electrolytic etching. She's off and running on it, now!

      I'd ship you some tomatoes if they could survive the trip. :(
      I'm guessing that you don't need to hear how good my Creole tomato & Vidalia onion sandwich was that I ate for lunch...

      Delete
    2. Can't wait for you to return! XO

      Delete
    3. Me either! We need to start planning something fun. I know that you don't use a lot of beads other than rough gemstones but how about the AKS Gemshow?

      Delete
  2. The tomatoes I get are already lousy BECAUSE they're shipped.... If only my soil wasn't just clay....

    As for the etching, I want to hear more about PnP vs. not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was cool weather, these really could ship. They are picked greenish and slowly, naturally ripen to an intense red. That slow ripening gives them an amazingly long shelf life.

      I promise to email info on etching resists!

      Delete