Translate

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Anklet Blog Hop


Many thanks to Kashmira of Sadafulee...always in bloom who is hosting this blog hop.  Kashmira came up with the idea for this blog hop/design challenge after giving some thought to the intricacies of designing comfortable, attractive anklets.  They are not quite as easy to design as bracelets due to the size limits on beads and other adornments--too big and they will be uncomfortable against the ankle bones.

I've always loved Indian and Middle Eastern style anklets--especially those with metal discs that resemble tiny coins.  As frequently as I wear long, flowing skirts that would look lovely with a pair of those anklets, I've never worn an anklet.  I suppose that I can attribute that to growing up with a mother who was certain that only "loose women" (her words) wore anklets.  I dared not buy or wear any while I was young and I've somehow let that prevent me from wearing any now that I'm older and should be doing what I want.

I had planned to create a pair of anklets with tiny bronze "coins" but getting ready for two markets got in the way.  I never got around to firing them.  I then decided to make use of some roughly faceted carnelian beads that I've had sitting around.  They are drilled with much smaller holes than I had expected.  22 gauge copper wire fits so, an anklet is a good use for them.  I also had four leftover prehnite rondelles.  I love the combination of the persimmon orange and light green.  I had considered hanging each bead as a tiny dangle but I was almost out of the chain that I wanted to use.  I, instead, rosary wrapped them into an extremely simple anklet.  I usually make four wraps but only made three so that each link would be ever-so-slightly shorter than usual.  That makes the anklet drape a bit better while still ensuring that each bead is securely linked to the next.  I finished the anklet with a simple fish hook style clasp which lays flat and wears rather well.  I had been concerned that it might be a bit too big but it's not.

Libellula Jewelry:  Carnelian & prehnite anklet

carnelian & prehnite anklet
Roughly faceted carnelians, prehnite rondelles, and 22 g copper with 20 g clasp

This blog hop inspired me to make something I want.  I will be finishing the pair of "coin" anklets and wearing them proudly with a long skirt and sandals.  Thanks, Kashmira!

Please visit the other participants:

Kashmira Patel    

Kaushambi Shah

Jean Wells

Mischelle Fanucchi

Shellie Grindie

Ginger Bishop

Monique U

Cynthia Machata

Susan  (you're here)

Kay Thomerson

Mimi Gardner

Anindita Basu

Rita (Toltec Jewels)

Gina Hockett

Tammie Everly

Dyanne Cantrell

Ema Kilroy

Emma Todd

K Morgan

Sharyl McMillian-Nelson

Cheri Reed

Rochelle Brisson

Michelle Buettner

Sandra McGriff

Stephanie Weiss

Shelley Graham Turner

Lynda Carson

Roxanne Mendoza

Dagi

42 comments:

  1. Whoohoo! You go! :D Yes, I remember caving under peer pressure over certain styles I liked, or didn't like, a few times when I was young. and a few times over my mom, too lol My mother never used the 'only loose women' line though.. she was more likely to use the 'not while you're under my roof' line ... and that one she caved on a lot ;) lol

    Love the anklet you made and I hope you wear it while you finish making your next one, too :) now you have me wanting to use my little brass coins.. >.< at this rate, I'll be making nothing but anklets for the next while lol too many ideas !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that our moms are a bit alike...

      I'm definitely enjoying my anklet and *will* be finishing my pair of bronze coin anklets as soon as I have time (I've got another market this Saturday).

      I look forward to seeing your future designs. :)

      Delete
  2. I love carnelian and you really did a beautiful with this piece. Simple but extremely elegant, perfect for summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammie. I, too, love carnelian and after wearing my anklet for a few days, can report that it is really comfortable. Simplicity paid off in comfort.

      Delete
  3. Love the color and design! Your wraps are perfect, and the copper is perfect for summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi! I'm lucky with wearing copper--no reaction. As much as I love the antiqued copper color for Summer, I can imagine that my anklet would be impossible for someone with more acidic skin.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is petite and perfect. Glad the hop motivated you to finish your coin anklets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger! Thanks so much for the compliment & keep watch for the other anklets. There will definitely be more to follow!

      Delete
  5. That is so pretty. I love the colors you chose and the daintiness of it. Can't wait to see the coin ones you make, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! Those are some of my favorite colors to pair with copper. It was fortuitous that I was able to "shop my stash" in making my anklet.

      I promise to post photos of the other anklets, too. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbi! How's that precious new kitten doing?

      Delete
  7. Such a pretty and delicate design! Love, love the color combination you've chosen, too. Hope you share your coin anklets when they are finished!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lynda! I promise to post photos. :)

      Delete
  8. That is really, really pretty. I love carnelian! You did a beautiful job wire wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean; carnelians are one of my favorites. I appreciate the compliment on my wrapping!

      Delete
  9. Love your design and the colours are so lovely together, Susan! Appreciate the tip about keeping the links shorter. I've found lots of food for thought on this hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monique! I've learned a lot, too. Kashmira really came up with a great challenge/hop.

      Delete
  10. Hmmm....interesting how different cultures look at the same thing in quite contrary ways! Anklets are something I bet all Indian girls have, even little babies. I had a Malaysian friend, she said her dad made special anklets for all his daughters, each with a different sounding bell, so he would know who it is without even looking up :) I am glad you remembered your love and longing for anklets and will make one soon!

    That said...I love what you have made! So delicate and the colors are just delicious! I absolutely love the clasp...mine are all lobsters and I hate how they "stand out". This piece is an absolute winner!

    Thanks much for joining all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing how different cultures view things. Something as innocuous as an anklet can be viewed in such vastly different ways! I have really enjoyed your blog hop and appreciate that it prodded me to do something that I should have done ages ago.

      I don't think that your clasps stand out in a bad way. Clasps are so personal. Fish hook clasps work for me because I can fasten them easily but some people have trouble with them and prefer round spring clasps (I struggle with them) or lobster clasps (somewhat o.k. for me). I'd be happy to make you some clasps--just email me. :)

      Delete
  11. Love the colors of your ankle bracelet and I love copper!!! I would wear this style a lot, I am sure you will enjoy wearing this during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheri!

      I put my anklet back on after my post-market shower on Saturday because I was anticipating going out to her a friend sing that evening. I, instead, fell asleep and never made it out that night and ended up sleeping in my anklet and found it immensely comfortable! I think I *will* be wearing it a lot. ;)

      Delete
  12. Love this anklet and your beautiful wraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ema. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. So very pretty & delicate! I'll have to check back for a future picture of the "coins". They sound really interesting. I was also thinking of doing a "coin" anklet with some old pennies I have & coins from other countries I've collected over the years. I think it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely be posting photos and look forward to seeing what you make with your real coins, too. :)

      Delete
  14. You're anklet is very pretty! The summer colors will definitely compliment your ankles this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dyanne. When my kitten scratches heal, I'll try to get a few photos posted of my anklets being worn!

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous... Gorgeous.... Gorgeous.. It just screams summer fun.. well to me it does. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It's got to be the colors.

      Delete
  16. Very pretty anklet! Love the colors, and it looks so easy to wear. Great job!
    Gina H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina. I'm so glad so many of you like the colors--they're some of my favorites. And, it really is easy to wear; I don't even notice that it's there on my ankle.

      Delete
  17. what a sweet, sweet anklet! LOVING the colors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yay; more love for the colors that I chose. :)

      Delete
  18. Simple but oh so lovely, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kepi! The next anklets will be a bit more interesting but I can't imagine that they'll be as comfortable as this one. :)

      Delete
  19. I really like what you created! It looks delicate and easy on the ankles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxanne! It's delicate but durable and really comfortable. Thank you for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete
  20. That sure is beautiful! You reminded me of how upset my mum was when I got a nose piercing (and I was 21!)- I still love it! I think it will look beautiful alongside your coin version and hope you share that one too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Intolerance is so rampant but it has lessened over the years. Let's hope it continues to diminish!

      I promise to post photos. :)

      Delete
  21. LOVE!! Oh, prehnite and carnelian... yummy and so pretty! Beautiful design. Thank you for sharing the materials and sizes of wire used, too. It helps me understand dimension. Love your anklet! Enjoy wearing your cool gemstone anklet this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rita! Your micromaille anklet really awed me. It's amazing. I can't wait to attempt chainmaille with that size jump rings.

      Delete