Translate

Monday, April 15, 2013

The 17-Year Cicadas Re-Emerge Along the East Coast

Cicada Silver Logo
Cicada Silver Logo

As you know, I have a serious fascination with insects.  I adore them and even named my shops after dragonflies and cicadas but I'm not going to indulge in any of the cicada recipes that are making their way around the internet.  I've heard that cicadas are delicious so, I am not knocking them.  Lots of cultures around the world eat insects on a regular basis.  I think cicadas are so adorable and find their drone so soothing that I couldn't bear to eat them!

Here's a link to some of the recent recipes.  They are not for the squeamish!

4 comments:

  1. The only drone I'm hearing up here in the NE so far is the drone of lawn mowers. That's quite enough for me. Have you found any recipes for lawnmowers (mechanical or human)? I'd gladly eat all of them.

    Sounds like you're well into summer down there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gale! I'm not sure the cicadas are emerging as far north as PA so, you might not be getting any. We'll both be dealing with lawn mowers. I'm already sick of them!

      We don't get the 13 or 17-yr cyclical cicadas around here which is kind of sad. I have to enjoy them when I'm visiting elsewhere or settle for the sporadic few that I find here.

      Delete
  2. Not into eating insects. In Thailand they hog tie roaches (they look like roaches to me).

    I know what you guys mean about the sounds of lawn mowers. But leaf blowers are just as bad! And where do they blow the leaves to anyway? I think the gardener next door blows the leaves into my garden. I never see anyone bag them (which is weird in itself). :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. My Vietnamese friend's mom served me stir-fry that contained mole crickets one time. Eating around them was interesting (I was vegetarian at the time, too.)!

      I dislike the mowers but I detest the leaf blowers. Not only are they loud but they kick up all the pollen and spores and leave me an allergic mess.

      As for leaves, I'll stick to composting them and avoid all the lawn equipment other than a simple rake!

      Delete