Translate

Saturday, April 13, 2013

7th Bead Soup Blog Party: Second Reveal

Before I show you the items that I made with my partner's beads, I'd like to give a big thank you to Lori Anderson for hosting this event.  She deserves an enormous amount of credit for creating the Bead Soup Blog Party and doing all the hard work behind the scenes.  Matching up partners all over the world and keeping things running smoothly is no easy task.

My Bead Soup partner is Nancy Boylan of Snazzy Doodle Designs.  She not only designs and creates beautiful jewelry  but also makes gorgeous lampwork and torch fired enamel beads.  Working with the Bead Soup that Nancy sent was a real joy.

Bead Soup sent by Nancy Boylan of Snazzy Doodle Design
Beautiful Bead Soup Containing
Beads Made by Nancy Boylan

I absolutely love the colors that Nancy sent.  The soft aqua, ivory, tan, and taupe set of beads made me think of our beaches.  The pale, minty green and light periwinkle beads seemed a bit more playful while the enameled filigree beads seemed open to lots of possibilities.  I'm really glad that Nancy sent antiqued brass components because I had gotten into a rut of using mostly copper and sterling silver and I really enjoyed the chance to use something I enjoyed in the past but had recently neglected.

The first item that I used was the soft aqua enameled filigree bead.  I made the chain by rosary wrapping faceted Picasso finish Czech glass beads and small copper beads.  I bookended Nancy's bead with a pair of my etched copper bead caps and added copper plated brass chain to make a tassel charm.  The connector was made from a hammered and patinated copper washer.

tassel necklace by Libellula Jewelry


I then moved on to Nancy's etched beads in beachy colors and the wonderful fish hook style clasp.  I made plain brass bead caps for the cube beads and the beach scene focal and assembled it into a necklace with red brass wire.  The necklace also includes the antiqued brass chain, fish hook clasp, and the darling fish charm, as well.  By attaching the fish charm to the loop end of the clasp, I managed to make it look like the fish is dangling from the hook.  I guess that angler only caught a minnow!

lampwork & red brass necklace by Libellula Jewelry
I'm keeping this necklace!

I continued on with the beach theme by combining the remaining enameled filigree bead with a pair of my etched copper bead caps and an enameled sand dollar made by Gardanne Beads.  I had originally purchased it for another necklace but it worked well for this necklace.  I knotted 6/0 seed beads and pinkish shell beads on waxed linen to make the long, beaded portion of this necklace and added a bronze connector rather than a clasp because it is long enough to slip on and off.

enamel, shell, glass, & bronze necklace made by Libellula Jewelry
This necklace was made for my mother

Next up was the pair of Czech pressed glass flower beads and their coordinating beads.  I kept these earrings simple so that the cute flowers would take center stage.

lampwork & red brass bracelet by Libellula Jewelry
Czech glass & sterling silver earrings

I then moved on to the adorable beads with polka dots and flowers.  I decided to etch some red brass with a polka dot pattern so that I could make matching bead caps.  I left two pairs antiqued while the other pairs were patinated to coordinate with the beads.  The bracelet was made using red brass wire and the toggle clasp that Nancy sent.


The final pair of earrings was made using beads that my friend Gale gave me and a bit of the recycled sari silk that Nancy sent.  The earring design was inspired by a pair of earrings made by Kristi Bowman.  I left the red brass raw so that it can age naturally.

lampwork, red brass & sari silk earrings

Thanks for visiting my blog during the hop!  Please visit Nancy to see what she made with the Bead Soup that I sent her:  http://snazzydoodle.blogspot.com/

Bead Soup sent by Libellula Jewelry to Snazzy Doodle Design
Copper components sent to Nancy

Bead Soup for Snazzy Doodle Designs
Ceramic, stone, & glass beads for Nancy

I'm on vacation this weekend so, I won't be visiting many blogs until I'm back in FL.  Rest assured that I will get around to visiting all the blogs from the second reveal.

Links to the blogs of those participating in the 7th Bead Soup Blog Hop Second Reveal:  http://lorianderson-beadsoupblogparty.blogspot.com/2013/04/7th-bead-soup-blog-party-2nd-reveal.html

98 comments:

  1. Susan, I love everything you made! I really like the second necklace and the bracelet. Your bead caps are amazing! It was lots of fun working with you and the soup you sent....thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm so glad that I had the chance to meet you and learn about your gorgeous beads. I will be ordering more because I'm now addicted!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful ingredients
    Wonderful Soup !!!
    Especially love those earring with the silk !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you had your work cut out for you with all those goodies Nancy sent. I agree that those muted colors look great with brass(lucky minnow!). Those blues look great with copper, too. But I think my favorite is that bracelet--the blue with taupe is such a pretty pairing with antiqued brass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I almost felt guilty it was so easy. I definitely agree with you about the antiqued brass matching the soft colors perfectly. Nancy certainly knew what she was doing when she was choosing my Bead Soup!

      Delete
  4. Your wirework is amazing, I wish I could do the same! Great pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet compliment! I'm sure your wire wrapping is lovely. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. You certainly had a lovely soup! I loved that lampwork bracelet! You did your soup proud, way to rock it. Kristin Oppold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy spoiled me rotten. ;) Thanks so much for visiting & your kind words!

      Delete
  6. Awesome designs! I like them all, but really like the addition of the sari silk to the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate that you stopped by for a visit. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow - what you created from your goodies is extraordinary! Your wire work is amazing and I just love all the pieces you created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blown away by all the kind comments--yours included. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. super work with wire and fabric! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I appreciate that you visited my blog. :)

      Delete
  9. I love everything, but my favs are the copper necklace and blue bead bracelet. Great job with great materials! :-)

    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debi! I had a great time in New Orleans and managed to have fun & take care of some business matters.

      Delete
  10. So many amazing pieces ! Love them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you've done with your lovely ingredients, Susan. And I don't blame you for keeping that gorgeous necklace!! Love the extra wire wraps that really set apart the beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I rarely keep my work so, it felt good to make a necklace for me! It's a nice souvenir of my first Bead Soup Blog Hop.

      Delete
  12. All these pieces are gorgeous. The copper necklace and the bracelet are my favorites. Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger! Thank you so much & I had a great time in NOLA.

      Delete
  13. I love the first piece! I would wear it right away! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete
  14. Your pieces are georgeous, Susan! Your wire work skills too - you did a wonderful job with the beads from Nancy. Very inspiring for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm thrilled that my work could be considered an inspiration!

      Delete
  15. I love the necklace you're keeping yourself! All designs are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very gorgerous, I love them all but especially the second necklace. Really my colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Those colors are so soothing and now that I've already worn the necklace, I've gotten several complients on Nancy's gorgeous beads. I'm hoping that she gets some orders!

      Delete
  17. You made beautiful use of your soup Susan. The first necklace is my favorite.Your wirework is exceptional. I love the dotted bead caps you made.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent work! I love your wire work in the first piece. And then using a beach theme, Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. First off I have to say that I am in awe of your awesome wirewrapping skills. Each wrap is so perfect. And the necklaces...oh la la. I am totally in love with the first two necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shaiha! I really appreciate that you visited my blog.

      Delete
  20. beautiful and innovative! Your wire wrapping is perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, CoffeeAddict! BTW--I'm a coffee addict, too. ;)

      Delete
  21. Wow.. such stunning work. I love your wire wrapping and the use of the fibers. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'd like to also thank you for being my 100th blog follower. :)

      Delete
  22. Those necklaces are all so beautiful! You have a great eye for design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. Nancy's gorgeous beads made the work very, very easy. The credit goes to her!

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. *So* true, Judith! I couldn't agree more. Thank for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  24. Here I am Susan, a little bit late but I'm finishing hopping today :)
    I love all your pieces, as usual! the necklace you keep for yourself is my favourite, with the bracelet.
    have a good week, this saturday it is my turn :)
    ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jò! You're not late; but, I'm getting a very late start because I was on vacation. I promise that I'll visit all of the blogs!

      Thanks for your sweet compliments. I hope your week is wonderful, too and I look forward to seeing your work this Saturday. :)

      Delete
  25. I think you and Nancy are the best pair in this blog party. She sent you a wonderful soup, but your metalwork and designs made them really beautiful jewelry. The bracelet is my favourite, every detail in it is on the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very sweet of you but I don't think that I could pick a favorite--too many to choose from. :)

      Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  26. Your necklaces are so beautiful it hurts. My favorite is the green with the fish hook. No wonder you are keeping it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me blush, Julie! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  27. OMG so beautiful, love all your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much & I appreciate that you visited my blog.

      Delete
  28. absolutely gorgeous designs !! I love the first necklace, I would so wear that !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was seriously tempted to keep it (I love Nancy's enamel filigree bead).

      Delete
  29. Fabulous designs as usual, Susan! The beachy tans necklace is my favorite I think. Maybe I should just make beads and send them your way, always love what you create :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali! Thank you so much. Let me know when you're going to start selling your lampwork... :)

      Delete
  30. Absolutely beautiful. Love the first blue necklace. Your wraps are so skillfully done. Great job on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jean. I think very highly of your work so, a compliment from you is a treat, indeed!

      Delete
  31. Beautiful designs - love what you did with such a wonderful soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, I totally agree that it was a *wonderful* soup! Thank you. :)

      Delete
  32. Gorgeous, love all your pièces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and for stopping by for a visit. :)

      Delete
  33. Oh what a beautiful collection you've made. I love your "big catch ;)" necklace, love those types of details! You should stick with the brass a while too since it likes you too clearly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad that you like how I used the little fish charm. I thought it was so perfect that Nancy included it.

      Oh, and I'll definitely be using more brass! :)

      Delete
  34. You had a gorgeous soup to work with and I love everything that you made!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammi! I'm so glad that you came by my blog for a visit. :)

      Delete
  35. I absolutely love the "hooked" necklace and the bracelet. I love what you created with your mix. Enjoy your vaca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen. French Quarter Festival was great and I even managed to get some business out of the way on the same trip!

      Delete
  36. I really love the color palette of the soup you received and how you took it in a few different directions. The first necklace is my favorite and something that I could see myself wearing a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I love variety and get bored without it.

      Delete
  37. What beautiful things you have made, I especially like the sweet blue polka dot bracelet, so pretty!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. Deciding between keeping the necklace or the polka dot bracelet was hard but the necklace won simply because I knew I'd wear it more frequently.

      Delete
  38. Each and every one of your designs is beautiful and so well-designed. I can tell how much thought you put into each one. I also see the beach in the palette you received. It's soothing and your pieces totally reflect that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hope. It's nice to know that my intentions were actually translated into the finished products!

      Delete
  39. Susan, you've out done yourself! So many new pieces and all so beautiful. Love the tassel on the first necklace and I'm always in awe of your meticulous wire work. I enamel beads, too, and think the touch of your etched bead caps is a perfect addition. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndi! Thank you so much. I was worried that the etched bead caps might be a little much too detail but it looked a little bland when I tried my plain ones--so I went for it.

      Delete
  40. All of your pieces are gorgeous. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that you visited my blog and your sweet compliments made my afternoon!

      Delete
  41. They are all beautiful but the first one is my favourite. That combination works so well! Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fantastic soup kit! You created all beauties ... my fav is the second necklace and the blue bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words and that you visited my blog! Thank you. :)

      Delete
  43. Beatiful pieces you've done. I like the first one and the bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Both the soup you sent and received are gorgeous! You created a really beautiful collection of pieces. The earrings are my favorite; love the addition of the sari silk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathleen! I appreciate that you took the time to stop by. :)

      Delete
    2. Your pieces are all lovely. I love the rosary wrap chain you created for the first piece. I may just give that a try.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Kathy. Definitely try it! It's a way to make a durable, reasonably priced chain for a necklace. I started making them because I could no longer find a source for my favorite 20 gauge solid copper cable chain.

      Delete
  45. What a gorgeous grouping of work you created -- and lucky you for getting to work with Nancy's beads! The first necklace was soft and beautiful, and I don't blame you a bit for wanting to keep that second necklace. I'd wear it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bobbie. I appreciate that you took the time to visit my blog!

      Delete
  46. I never got through any of the second reveal hopping or I surely would have commented on yours sooner! The beads you received are gorgeous. You must have been so psyched! There are so many great details in all of your pieces. I especially like the way you etched the bead caps on the bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I can attest that it takes *forever* to get through all the participants for a reveal date. I thought I'd never finish!
      Thanks so much for your kind words (I love etching) and I totally agree that Nancy's beads are gorgeous. I squealed when I opened her box.

      Delete
  47. Your pieces came together beautifully! Really stunning...love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I appreciate that you took the time to stop by. :)

      Delete