Translate

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Vernal Equinox

 Happy first day of Spring!

fushia azalea in full bloom
The azaleas are in bloom everywhere which has been both beautiful and awful.  My allergies have been worse than usual for several weeks but I'm still really excited to see all of the colorful blooms popping up all over the Gulf coast.  The birds are nesting and I'm frequently awakened to the sound of woodpeckers drumming on the flashing.  And, I can't wait to see baby bluebirds (my favorite) and sturdy flickers feeding their young.  

What signs of Spring have you seen in your area?

6 comments:

  1. I will just share your picture and live vicariously waiting for my spring, which is delayed this year. We had more snow yesterday. Even my kids didn't want to see more snow, but we made a snowlady anyway. I am usually looking for spring bulbs popping up through the ground by now, but not this year. Winter refuses to release its hold on us. So it is living with wet mitts and boots drying by a heat, that I am off to turn. After I enjoy your azaleas a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you, Andrea, and wondered how you and your family were faring in the cold, north. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Spring heads your way *soon*!

      Delete
  2. I totally hear you on the allergies. I took my friend from California to the azalea festival (50,000 bushes), and her allergies went so nuts she thought she had a cold. This Carolina girl was not phased. I love azaleas! Happy Spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger! You're so lucky that you're not allergic to azaleas. All pollen hits me *hard*, so being a lifelong Southerner has been difficult with all the azaleas, camellias, magnolias, pine trees, roses,...you get the picture!

      Delete
  3. The cherry blossom is coming out here in the UK, I can see two outside my window. And I've seen some daffodils and snow drops open as well :) They cheer me up despite the freezing rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so lovely! I enjoy seeing daffodils, etc. poking their little heads up from beneath a blanket of snow. It's too bad that it's too warm here to plant bulbs. They'd never bloom. We do have lots of flowering trees and my favorites are dogwoods, cherry, and magnolias.

      Delete