Translate

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mother Earth Challenge

ceramic face pendants by Angel Whisperer

First, I'd like to thank Birgitta Lejonklou of Angel Whisperer and Lejonklou for hosting such an inspiring blog hop.  It's a pleasure to work with her beautiful handmade components while also celebrating Mother Earth.
I would also like to congratulate Birgitta.  At the time that she created this hop, she was closing in on 500 sales in her handmade supplies/components shop and she is now fast approaching 600!

When I received my face pendant from Birgitta, I was immediately struck by how much the face made me think of a moon face--but not the "man in the moon".  The face is definitely feminine.  The challenge is to create a piece of jewelry inspired by mother earth but I decided to go in a slightly different direction.

Our oceans' tides are governed in part by the gravitational pull of our moon and women's menstrual cycles are often compared to the length of the lunar cycle.  So, I would like to ask that everyone indulge me in referring to the moon as Mother Earth's sister.  My work is often influenced by what I've been reading or by music.  In this case, Sting's song Sister Moon was playing in my mind as I made my necklace.

Sister Moon by Sting
Image Compilation by Frenz

Sister Moon Necklace by Libellula Jewelry

Moon Face Pendant Necklace

Necklace by Libellula Jewelry

The colors of the pendant, beads, and silk ribbon make me think of the oceans--the life blood of Mother Earth.

I think my necklace would have suited Stevie Nicks' style during the height of Fleetwood Mac.

Stevie Nicks

Blog Hop Participants:

 (You're here)  Susan:     http://libellulajewelry.com

Emma Todd       http://apolymerpenchant.blogspot.se

Inge Traud     
http://www.ingetraud.wordpress.com

 
Sandra Wollberg  
http://city-of-brass-stories.blogspot.se


Cece Courmier   http://
thebeadingyogini.com

  
Margareta Saari    http://
magsinhelmet.blogspot.se


Toltec Jewels  
http://JewelSchoolFriends.com

 
Leena             http://
vikkityyli.blogspot.se

 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    and thank You for a LOVELY post!!
    So nice with this moon connection and music and all! The necklace is gorgeous of course and You show Your amazing skill with metal too :-)
    I also see that pretty tag ;o)
    My post turned out to be more save the world than romantic Im afraid....
    xxx take care B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you Birgitta! Thank you so much. I think your post's save the world tone is exactly what is needed! I only wish that more people agreed... So many do not see that our individual actions are what will decide the earth's fate.

      Your work captures your love of the earth so *very* perfectly :)

      Delete
  2. Such a feminine and sweet, somehow so protective and nurturing piece... I love your design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Margareta. I love our oceans so much that I had to pull in earth's connection to the moon. That is probably where the feminine element comes enters.

      Delete
  3. Your Sister Moon is as mellow as Sting's! I think the blues you've chosen complement your deeply etched and browned copper really beautifully. I particularly like the tassles that soften and balance your bail and those cool links you've made for the chain. And of course, Birgitta's contribution is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gale! I went back and forth on how long to make the tassels; I'm glad to hear that they worked out o.k.

      Delete
  4. Your piece is beautiful. I like the addition of the copper and as for Stevie, I totally agree with you. I think it would still suit her style. By the way, she is one of my all-time favorites. I have an iPod with very, very select music on it and it has a bunch of Fleetwood Mac on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean.
      I love Stevie & her earth goddess style. I was hoping that people would know what I meant by adding her photo. I'm glad that you saw the connection, too!

      Delete
  5. Susan,
    I love the connection you made between earth and moon. What a great combination. Love the peaceful focal. The blues go so well with the copper, and your metalwork is so exquisite. Beautiful piece.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea,
      Thank you so much!
      I'm a bit of a stargazer and love staring out at the moon over the water so, I was happy to be able to find a way to bring the moon into the mix.
      I've found that no matter how much I love silver, copper remains my favorite metal. I love the earthy color.
      -Susan

      Delete
  6. Beautiful necklace. I really like your copper bail design.

    ReplyDelete