Translate

Monday, October 29, 2012

Gotta Keep A Few

I recently finished a copper bracelet that was for ~me~!  This is something that I almost never do because items either get listed in one of my shops, consigned,  donated, or given to friends.

bead fringed bracelet w/ etched copper clasp
Bead Fringed Copper Bracelet With Etched Copper Button Clasp

I made the chain portion of this bracelet from jump rings made from upcycled 14 gauge wire that was leftover from an electrical job at our house. (My husband made the jump rings.)

Small Czech glass druk beads in shades of teal, peridot, and garnet were attached using my handmade 20 gauge rosy copper headpins.

I fashioned a button clasp from a disc that I electrolytically etched with a design found in a vintage metalsmithing text. The disc was domed and I then soldered a shank inside and copper plated the silver solder seams. The hook portion of the clasp was formed from a short length of torch balled 18 gauge wire. 

The bracelet was finished with one of my custom etched copper dragonfly logo charms, treated with liver of sulphur, and hand polished.

What was the last item that you made and kept for yourself ?

12 comments:

  1. I loved reading about the history of your materials and construction techniques. The quality shows - it is a magnificient piece and I'm so happy it will be wrapped around your own wrist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think that the "back story" is often as important as the finished product ;)

      Delete
  2. I love that you used upcycled wire in this piece. It's gorgeous and I can see why you would want one for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always feels good to be able to turn a leftover bit into something that is truly greater than the sum of its parts.

      Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I love druk beads. Dragonfly colors to keep your beautiful etched dragonfly company! Smart thinkin', to keep that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Druk beads add so much bang for the buck--gotta love that!

      I had originally chosen those colors because I was trying to match the colors on a vintage Roma bracelet. I never got around to making my version so they ended up on this one. I wore it with a teal top at dinner Saturday night and it matched great.

      "Smart thinkin', to keep that one."--Glad you think so! Thanks, Gale :)

      Delete
  4. Good for you for making yourself a "keeper". All too often we send all our work off to be enjoyed by others :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! It was time to make something for me. I know you've been working hard on pieces for other people. When will I hear that you've made yourself a new, shiny lovely?

      Delete
  5. You make such lovely pieces. You definitely need to keep some to wear yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Andrea. I just found and followed your new blog :)

      Delete
  6. The last item I made and kept for myself is the necklace I am wearing right now. Copper chain holding a tiny vial with the tiniest shell from my Oki collecting. Love the bracelet so much. I'm a bracelet girl, and ones that move when you do are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your necklace sounds great. You'll appreciate it even more when you're back in the states. I like the sentimental things (shells from favorite beaches, etc.)like that.


      Thanks so much regarding the bracelet. I love bracelets but don't get to wear them a lot because can't wear any jewelry on my hands/wrists when Im working. But, I make time to wear this one!

      Delete