Translate

Monday, September 3, 2012

Crossvine Necklace

I live in NW Florida and find a lot of inspiration in the natural beauty that is all around me. We have the quartz crystal white beaches of the Emerald Coast, pine flatlands, gorgeous springs, wildlife, and our colorful native plants. One of my favorites is the crossvine with its red trumpet shaped flowers and shiny green leaves.

When I saw the beautiful red stoneware flower pendant made by Mari Marson of http://www.ArtGirl56.etsy.com, I immediately thought of the crossvine.  I know that the shape isn't exactly the same but it definitely inspired me to make a necklace.

photograph of a crossvine in bloom
Crossvine:  Bignonia capreolata 
Photo Credit:  Stan Shebs

crossvine necklace by Libellula Jewelry

detail of crossvine necklace


clasp & back of crossvine necklace

close up of crossvine necklace by Libellula Jewelry


The necklace is made from a combination of handmade elements and commercial beads (copper, Kazuri, red jasper, & Czech glass beads).  I made the bead caps, etched copper bail, wire "vine", fold formed leaves, headpins, and clasp.  I also treated the leaves, some of the copper beads, and a pair of the bead caps with Jax Green to produce the mottled green patina.  Those were sealed with spray lacquer and Renaissance Wax.  The other copper elements were treated with liver of sulphur and polished to bring out the detail.

Please visit Mari's Etsy shop to see the variety of lovely pendants, bracelet focals, etc. that she has made.  She also has other pottery items and handmade jewelry.  You'll find plenty to inspire you and you might a few goodies that you *need* ;)

6 comments:

  1. I love the colors and think you have represented the vine beautifully. Well done!
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Andrea! Mari's flower gave me lots of inspiration; I just love her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your necklace is absolutely beautiful. Love how you fashioned the centerpiece for the flower. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already commented on Flikr--but lovely necklace! all the pieces just "fit."

    ReplyDelete