Translate

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Carpal Tunnel Issues

I've not been terribly productive lately because I've been experiencing a carpal tunnel flare-up.  I'm very careful that I don't cause myself more injury through improper tool usage.  I have old injuries that are unrelated to metalsmithing and an occasional bad habit of sleeping with my wrists curled in like I'm comatose.  When I wake up with numbness, I know that I need to start wearing my wrist braces at night.

I'm a stickler on reminding everyone to let hammers do the work.  Bill Fretz hammers are my favorite because I love the shapes of the handles and how they are weighted. Annealing your metal will save your tools and your wrists and on projects that require a lot hammering, it will keep your metal from cracking or splitting from over work hardening.  So, be sure to re-anneal as necessary while you're working.

So, take care of those precious wrists!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I understand about hand abuse. My main problem tends to be my thumbs. Take care of your wrists - they're the only ones you get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! I can definitely sympathize. Untreated carpal tunnel issues can lead to some rather serious thumb problems, too. I guess you and I have to be really vigilant.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about that. So far, the jewelry-making is just helping to ruin my back--which is ironic, because I started with those new tools when I had to cut back on heavy-duty gardening. Now if I could only convince myself that a couple of premium Fretz hammers might alleviate my problem.... Anyway, take it easy. I see you have some lovely new items despite the pause for relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that jewelery-making is taking a toll on your back. I've heard the same thing from a lot of people.

      I am glad that back when I was in tool buying mode that I did invest in good tools. They have definitely helped.

      Thanks for the kind words about the newly added items. In all honesty, they've been made for a few weeks and were waiting to be photographed and listed--like a *lot* of other pieces that are part of the backlog.

      ~Fingers crossed that you conquer your back issues.~

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling better soon! Thankfully carpal hasn't been an issue for me yet. Just have to be careful with my neck by remembering not to hunch up my shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Both of my wrists have been feeling much better today (no shooting pains). I also sympathize with you having neck pain. If I'm not careful, I get that too. The worst part--even worse than the pain--is the sound that only I can hear when I've got a stiff neck. I can hear a sound like glass crushing with each turn. Ugh!

      Be vigilant about your neck :)

      Delete