Translate

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

IPA Lover's Necklace

I still haven't purchased the beads to finish the other beer lover's necklace but I have finished the first necklace intended for women who love IPAs (India Pale Ale) in all their hoppy deliciousness!  The pendant is etched--etched electrolytically, of course--onto 18 gauge brass.  I gave it the marbled green patina by using Jax green, spray lacquered it, and finished it with some Renaissance Wax.

etched brass hop pendant
Hop Cone with Latin Name

The pendant hangs on a chain that I made from 18 gauge copper wire with Czech glass beads that I rosary wrapped with 20 gauge copper wire.  The tiny bead caps are also handmade from 24 gauge copper sheet.  So, this one is all handmade from wire and sheet metal excluding the Czech glass beads.  It's only fitting...think of all the craftsmanship that goes into making a seriously good craft brew!

handmade etched brass & copper necklace
Approximately 20.5 inches or 52.1 cm Long

11 comments:

  1. Lovely colors (though I'm not a beer lover!). What I'd love to know is how you made that chain....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I could describe the method! I could show you how but that won't work on a blog and I don't do videos.

      I saw a chain like that and just figured it out. I'll see if I can find a tutorial.

      Delete
    2. I've been looking all over for a tutorial! I even bought Classical Loop-in-Loop Chains--will try to figure it out, too!! Thanks for sharing if you find anything.

      Delete
    3. I'm going to keep looking because I'm determined to find a tutorial :)

      Delete
    4. Alison Lesniak of Copperheart was gracious enough to tell me the name of the chain: Cotter Link. I make mine from soldered jump rings but it can be made in a more simplified manner. Here's a link to a tutorial:
      http://www.wire-sculpture.com/pages/albina_manning_cotter_pin_link.html?ref=pattern3&

      Delete
    5. Susan--I just have to thank you publicly as well for going to all the trouble to find that tut. Thanks to Alison, too!

      Delete
  2. What an interesting take on it! I love me some beer, but tend to either like dark stouts and porters or really light wheats. I'm getting there with the more hoppy beers, but it's definitely taking me some time. My husband is a big fan though. I do love that hop pendant though. It's super cool. I can't wait to see the next beer piece. Mmmmmm, beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love stouts & porters more than any other beers but I definitely won't turn down a lovely IPA. I think we'd probably be trying the same beers at a tasting...
      The next one will be more for the "beer lover" and not quite so specific.

      Delete
  3. Forgot to add: I love the hop PLANT. Your design is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gale! Hop vines are so gorgeous--but smelly.

      Delete