Translate

Thursday, May 10, 2012

A New Necklace

I decided to go through my bead stash and force myself to make something with beads that have sat unused.  You know, the kind of beads that are waiting for just the right inspiration or just the right moment. 

While looking through my beads, I came across a set of beautiful millefiori polymer clay beads that were made by Nathalie of polymerclaybox.etsy.com.  The colors were too warm for silver and too Spring-like for copper so I wasn't sure what to do with them.  I realized that they were calling out for brass--but I rarely use brass.  I don't usually like shiny brass and usually choose to hammer it to break up the light reflections but I knew that it wouldn't look right with these beads.  Millefiori and hammered brass would be too busy.  These beads needed simple, plain bead caps like the ones that I usually make from copper sheet.  I made a variety of sizes of bead caps from a sheet of 24 gauge brass so that they would suit all the sizes of beads I intended to use.  Not only did I have the set of five polymer clay beads but I also planned to include two sizes of faceted stone rondelles in pink quartz and green dyed quartz.  Everything was assembled using raw brass wire and the jump rings which I had my husband make.  I'm actually pretty happy with the way it came together.  I think that the brass really matches the soft yellow and accents the pink in the beads.

Handmade brass necklace by Libellula Jewelry:  polymer clay beads by PolymerClayBox.etsy.com


All in all, I think I succeeded in putting those lovely beads to use.  I'll list the necklace on LibellulaJewelry.etsy.com on the 11th or 12th.

Please be sure to check out Nathalie's shop:  polymerclaybox.etsy.com.  She has a wonderful selection of buttons right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment