Translate

Friday, May 25, 2012

Etching Copper

Here are a couple of items that I've recently etched:

Libellula Jewelry:  etched copper hop pendant
Etched Using Muriatic Acid & Hydrogen Peroxide
 PNP Transfer Used

The design was drawn by me and is based upon a photograph of a hop.  The pendant is destined to become the focal for a beer lover's necklace.  I'll post photos when the necklace is finished.  I'm still searching for just the right beads.

Libellula Jewelry:  etched copper & Czech glass earrings
Etched Electrolytically Using Saltwater and D-Cell Batteries
PNP Transfer & Waterbased Paint Marker Used

I used a design that I found in a nearly hundred year old book about jewelry design and construction.  The original pattern was for a pierced work brooch so, I altered the image and made it a bit different--though the design still retains its original Arts & Crafts era charm.

3 comments:

  1. So what did you think of using Muriatic Acid vs electricity to etch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a bit more fond of electrolytic etching because it is so simple, environmentally friendly, and safe.

      Muriatic acid etching is more work as far as safety.

      Both methods produce excellent results in a similar time frame so, it really comes down to an individual's preference or safety concerns.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure I will be too, once I try it! Thanks for responding!

      Delete