Translate

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Who Doesn't Like Pie?

Nestle Toll House chocolate chip pie w/ vanilla ice cream

Sometimes you just need pie and today was one of those days.  I would  have loved to make a luscious fruit pie but black walnut chocolate chip pie had to suffice.  This pie is my take on the classic Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Pie. 
The original recipe can be found here:
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/28218/NESTL%C3%89-TOLL-HOUSE-Chocolate-Chip-Pie/detail.aspx

Here are my changes:
  • when I don't have time to make a crust, I like to use a 9" whole wheat crust by Wholly Wholesome
  • I prefer to use organic ingredients
  • I add 1 tsp of my homemade vanilla extract (vanilla beans stuffed in a bottle of Jack Daniels!)
  • Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon & 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • I add fewer chocolate chips--usually no more than 3/4 C (Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet or Whole Foods 365 Organic) 
  • I think black walnuts really *make* this pie so, that's what I use and I tend to either chop them very finely or process them until they resemble very coarse crumbs (I'm not a fan of large bits of nut)
My husband and mother like their pie with a scoop of Alden's Vanilla Ice Cream but I have mine plain with coffee. 

How will you enjoy your pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment