Translate

Friday, January 13, 2012

Spicy Shrimp In Coconut Milk

spicy shrimp in coconut milk

We have enjoyed this recipe ever since it appeared in the Co-op Advantage newsletter a few years ago.  It's a lovely Thai-inspired dish.  So, I've pulled this recipe out in anticipation of tonight's dinner.  I can't remember the last time I cooked it but I know it's been too long.

I change all recipes--like most of you do; I'm sure.  So I've listed my changes below:
  • increase garlic to 1 Tbsp
  • increase coriander to 3 Tbsp
  • double the cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and turmeric
  • use a full 14 oz. tin of Muir Glen tomatoes w/ green chilies rather than just a cup of tomatoes
  • decrease the coconut milk to 1 can of light coconut milk
  • omit salt entirely if using royal red shrimp (they are deep water shrimp and the pressure infuses their bodies w/ enough salt)
Serve over jasmine or basmati rice.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks great Susan. Shrimp season just started in Maine, though they are pretty small. I might have to try it with lobster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would work. Of all the shrimp, royal reds have a flavor much closer to that of lobster. You'll have to let me know if the recipe works with lobster!

    ReplyDelete