Translate

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Senate Bean Soup & Honey Wheat Yeast Rolls

McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola & Destin has Senate Bean Soup on their menu at the insanely low 18¢ price that the Senate cafeteria charged until public outcry forced them to raise the price.  Their recipe was published in the June/July 2009 issue of Taste of the South.  So, anyone who has vacationed in NW Florida and eaten their soup can now, make it back home in Iowa, etc.  Here's a link to the recipe:  http://www.bos-bowl.com/2011/03/mcguires-senate-bean-soup.html 

I made Senate bean soup for dinner tonight along with some honey wheat yeast rolls from a recipe that I found on the King Arthur Flour website.  Here's the link:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/dark-and-soft-chain-restaurant-dinner-rolls-recipe  The soup is incredibly easy to make and the rolls are, too.

My recipe changes:
  • I substituted a teaspoon of molasses for the caramel color (someone suggested that in the comments section)
  • I used active yeast and proofed it with 1/3 C of the water and the tsp of molasses rather than add instant yeast directly to the other ingredients
  • I didn't have KAF bread flour and used their regular unbleached all-purpose flour
  • I also substituted Arrowhead Mills (whole wheat) Organic Pastry Flour for the KAF White Wheat Flour
My observations:
  • My rolls rose a little faster than the recipe stated and baked a little faster but today was a very Spring-like day and ovens will vary
  • Next time, I won't sprinkle the baking sheet or the tops of the rolls with cornmeal (I don't think it really adds anything)
McGuire's is a good restaurant but an excellent microbrewery.  It's too bad that McGuire's doesn't bottle all their beers because this meal was in need of one of their Oatmeal Stouts or Porters.  If you are lucky enough to find that their Irish Red is distributed in your area, give it a try. 
~Fingers are crossed that they expand their bottled beer lineup~

No comments:

Post a Comment