Translate

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes

chocolate zucchini cupcake w/ cream cheese frosting

A few years ago, The Fresh Market in-store flyer had a recipe for chocolate zucchini cake.  The shredded zucchini makes this an incredibly moist cake with a great texture.  This is especially nice because I substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the King Arthur White Wheat Flour that the recipe specifies.

I always bake this recipe as cupcakes rather than a sheet cake.  They are really good with cream cheese frosting--even though I find it to be gilding the lily.  But, my husband often likes his lilies gilded so, frosting it is.  Make it with Neufchatel cream cheese and it won't be quite as naughty.

Here are my changes:
  • use organic ingredients where possible
  • substitute Arrowhead Mills (whole wheat) Organic Pastry Flour
  • add 1 tsp of vanilla extract (I use my homemade)
  • don't add as many chocolate chips (I use around 1/2 C)
In my oven, the cupcakes are ready in 17 minutes.  But, ovens vary so keep an eye on them.

The recipe makes around 30 cupcakes but they freeze well so, there is no pressure to consume them quickly.

2 comments: