Translate

Friday, January 20, 2012

Chilly Weather Requires Soup

curried pumpkin soup w/ flatbread
Curried Pumpkin Soup


I'll start by saying that I am a cold weather wimp but that comes from being a lifelong Southerner. So, any of you who live in truly cold weather climates, please don't laugh too hard.

Temperatures below 60° usually make me start shivering. I am not a fan of cold weather but I love any excuse for a pot of homemade soup. I get emails from Panera because I've got one of their reward cards.  One of those emails contained a recipe for Curried Pumpkin Soup. I finally got around to trying the recipe and I'm happy to report that with a few modifications, it was really good.

My changes:
  • I used organic ingredients
  • I almost doubled the curry powder but I hesitate to say that it should be doubled because curry powders differ so much (season to your personal preference)
  • I shook in a bit of cinnamon because this curry powder (Frontier) was rather mild
  • I increased the ginger to 3 tsp.  In the future, I will grate the ginger and squeeze the juice from the pulp
  • I substituted light coconut milk for the regular
  • I used a bit more sugar but the amount of sugar needed will definitely vary by the sweetness of the pumpkin
  • I added 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes
I made another change that I do not suggest.  I processed the onion, carrot, etc. mixture in my food processor until it was very finely chopped but it did not puree.  I should have used a stick blender but I don't have one--I've worn out two in the last few years and am currently without.  Please use a stick blender or the soup won't have a wonderful silken texture.  BTW, if anyone can suggest a good, powerful stick blender with a decent life expectancy, I'd appreciate it.  My last two were Cuisinart and wore out way too soon.  In Cuisinart's defense, I will admit to using my blender far more frequently than the average household uses theirs.

Curried pumpkin soup, a salad, and some Dr. Kracker Pumpkin Seed Cheese flatbreads made a healthful and delicious dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment